In preparation for one of the spookiest nights of the year, we have compiled a few precautions that you’ll need to ensure safety for your pet this Halloween.
- Keep Candy Out of Reach –
Candy and chocolate are never a good idea for dogs or cats and on Halloween. Chocolate and xylitol, a sweetener found in many candies, can be extremely toxic to pets. Additionally, lollipops and their sticks can be choking hazards and cause a painful obstruction or foreign body ingestion that may require surgery to remove.
- Dog-Proof Your Decorations –
Even though they look very festive, it’s best to not keep lit pumpkins around pets. If you opt for a less-messy, electric option for your pumpkin, keep wires and electric cords out of reach. Should your pet get too close, they run the risk of burning themselves or knocking it over and causing a fire.
- Keep Pets Confined and Away From the Door –
Not only will your door be constantly opening and closing on Halloween, but strangers will be dressed in unusual costumes. This can be a scary concept for our furry friends. Dogs are especially territorial and may become anxious and growl at innocent trick-or-treaters. Putting your dog or cat in a secure room away from the front door will also prevent them from darting outside.
If you suspect your pet has consumed a toxic substance during Halloween and you can’t see your veterinarian, contact the Pet Poison Helpline, a 24-hour service* that assists pet owners, veterinarians and veterinary technicians who are treating potentially poisoned pets.
And remember, if you decide to dress your pet up for Halloween, post a photo on our Facebook page! We’re having a costume contest and the pet with the most likes at the end of the month will win a bag of treats along with some other goodies and toys.