This time of year brings fun for everyone – treats, decorations, costumes and hayrides! During the excitement there are a few things to consider so the evening doesn’t’ turn into a nightmare for you and your furry pal.
It’s always a good rule of thumb to make sure everyone that comes into contact with your dog or cat knows the following:
Treats Are For Humans
- Chocolate is harmful to dogs and cats. It can cause seizures, hyperactivity, heart issues and possibly death.
- Xylitol is found in diet candy and other treats made for humans. This element can induce hypoglycemia in animals which can lead to liver failure and death.
- Animals are prone to investigate items that have sweet odors. Remember dogs can easily choke on wrappers found around your favorite candy.
Decorate Wisely & Safely
- As you’re putting up those scary, spooky and fun decorations, double check that you’re not tempting Fido. Also check to make sure that the electrical cords and wires are up and out of reach. Don’t forget about the candle(s) inside of your jack-o-lantern!
- If you decide to dress your pet up for Halloween, make sure they are not confined or restricted by their outfit. Find something that is comfortable for them yet fun for you! You want to ensure the costume is not tight around the neckline/throat area. Also make sure the costume does not run the risk of tripping them as they walk.
Make sure your best friend is safe, secure and calm during the bewitching hours. When the trick-or-treaters start ringing the doorbell, make sure your dog is secure and will not run out of the door and away. More importantly, make sure your best friend does not dash out and bite one of the friendly but loud trick-or-treaters.
Don’t forget that Regal Pet Resort has suites available that you can book for a Howl-O-Ween stay to guarantee a great evening for both you and your furry friend!