Winter can be tough on all of us, especially our pets. In the cold months, it’s important to ensure pets are warm and safe. Follow these five tips and your furry friends will stay protected during chilly winter conditions.
- Provide Fresh Water. Make sure your dog has fresh water at all times; just as you would during the spring and summer months. Once water is provided, be sure to use a plastic watering bowl instead of a metal bowl to ensure your dog’s tongue does not stick to the surface of the bowl.
- Provide Adequate and Quality Food. Pets who spend a lot of time outdoors need more nutritious food in the winter because keeping warm depletes energy. To guarantee that your dog is getting the proper nutrients, always feed them quality dog food. How do you know which dog food is high quality? If you can find it in the grocery store, don’t buy it. Always read the ingredients listed and only purchase food from a reputable pet store. Next time you’re at Regal Pet Resort, check out the dog food we carry, it’s great quality.
- Keep Your Dog’s Paws Clean and Dry. After going for walks in the rain or snow, make sure to wipe and dry your dog’s paws to prevent cracked pads or small, irritating cuts. These can occur from the salt, sand and other items that might be used to melt away snow.
- Beware of the Human Winter Hazards. When it is cold out, do not leave your dog in the car for long periods of time. If you leave your dog in the car while it’s running, you increase the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Alternatively, if you leave your dog in a car that’s not running, he or she can experience hypothermia.
Did you also know that antifreeze smells and tastes great to your dog? It’s true and unfortunately, antifreeze is also poisonous and potentially deadly. Check to make sure your driveway and garage are clear of antifreeze. If possible, try to use products that contain propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol.
- Groom Your Dog Regularly. Keeping your dog’s coat groomed is key throughout the winter to keep your dog insulated from the cold. Keep in mind that your dog’s hair is much more likely to tangle and cause painful mats during the wetter months. Do not hesitate to call Regal Pet Resort and book your dog’s bath or groom today.